Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Socratic Seminar

0 Period ; 7:30 A.M. ; Tuesday, August 21, 2012

     This morning our class participated in its first Socratic Seminar. Throughout the sitting people eventually spoke out, but when they did great opinions were awakened! From "why's" and "how's" to demonstrating different view points, our class joined together to talk about what we learned from our reading the night before. I'm guessing Dr. Preston had a different idea in mind because he spiced things up and had us answer questions (between a team of two) like "Do you prefer a book or a kindle?" or "Do you prefer pepperoni or mushroom?" These questions were answered and with a reason to why we chose what we did. Eventually it lead to a chilling challenge, a competition between a classmate and myself. The challenge was to see who could last longer with our right hand placed in an ice bath. Sadly, I lost and I felt it was because of my tininess. The ice bath froze my hand like never before and I knew I wasn't going to last, so why hurt myself trying to do something I knew I couldn't do. Right after the challenge we got back into the Socratic Seminar and had a discussion on "the right to our own opinion." 

No comments:

Post a Comment