Tuesday, August 21, 2012

--Decision-making fatigue--


 1. Based on your personal experience, these readings and our in-class study, do you think decision fatigue is a self-fulfilling prophecy (i.e., an outcome created by an expectation of the outcome) or a physiological condition? Is technology enabling you to achieve your goals or just distracting you from them? Make sure to support your ideas with reasons/evidence (one point from each article, and at least one point from your own experience. 
--Through experience, I feel that decision fatigue is a physiological condition since the mind is what sends the message to our tired bodies saying "we are tired, give us a break." The first article caught my eye and I had to share it with my mother for two reasons: one it was my excuse for staying up late and not giving my full effort, second I was able to relate to the article and I felt like I understood it enough to share my opinions with another. How the writer shred, "They were just asking for parole at the wrong time of day," was remarkable because I never thought of it that way. I connected that idea with some personal experiences at home and understood why after a long day of being at work my parents were more likely to say yes to a request of some sort. Anyways, technology to me is like a "frenemy." I see it as this because of how its being used in my household. We mainly use it as a connection to our friends/family instead of as a resource. The distraction it creates shadows over me, falling into temptation and allowing myself to merely flow OUT of the zone.

2. On a scale from 1-10 (1 being least able and 10 being most able), how able are you to concentrate for long periods of time on tasks you don't really want to do in the first place?--I would say a 6... Obviously, I would try my best even though my mind is saying, "Don't do it Michelle!! This is not where you want to be." but the experience is what matters the most, negative or positive, it's what counts. For example, today's chilling experience. I wasn't expecting to last as long as I did with my hand inside the freezing ice bath, but miraculously I survived and that counted more than merely not trying.

3. Are you prepared for the possibility that you may be able to concentrate much more effectively than you previously believed?
-- I'm prepared to see how far Dr. Preston is going to push us all. Limits or no limits, I'm willing to give anything a try, "If at first you don't succeed, try again." There's always room for improvement no matter the situation at hand. 

4. How can you use what you've learned to increase your capacity for concentrating over an extended period of time?  
--I could try to keep up with my body's signals and not allow myself to go on "automatic shutdown." Instead of taking the easy route and procrastinating, I could try to be more straight forward with my daily routine. By not skipping meals and setting a direct time for sleep, I know i'll be able to get more out of my day the next morning. The articles gave me hints here and there on how to dodge easy ways out, and by doing so I hope to apply them when ever I possibly can.





No comments:

Post a Comment