Wednesday, October 24, 2012

tools that change the way we think

How does extensive Internet/media/technology use change the way you think? 
Focus on your memory, your ability to concentrate, your sense of time and priorities, and the subjects/topics that interest you most. If you find "thinking about your thinking" difficult to assess, try the following strategies: compare yourself with older people who did most of their formal learning before smart phones and 2.0 existed; compare yourself with contemporaries who don't use those tools much today; read up on what education leaders and thinkers have to say about generational differences in thinking (and remember to cite your sources).

Internet/media/technology changes the way I think by interfering with my personal life. As I'm doing homework for classes I find myself wasting more and more time on Facebook. With only one click I can distract myself and enter a world of pure gossip. After thinking I've been on for only 5 minutes I find it's been 3 hours and I freak out because there goes another night of saying I'll cut back on "Facebook Time." My memory has been greatly affected by the technology advantage we have now and I see no point in memorizing anything if we can find it with the click of a button. Cheating also happens as internet and technology are within reach. It could be an unfair advantage to those who try without help. Older generations are and always will be wiser than our future generations. "In my generation, if something was broken we'd fix it.. not throw it away." Ironically, that is a quote I came across while being on Facebook and I tried to wonder why it was being said. Then I realized that we rely so much on internet/media/technology that we replace ANYTHING that can be replaced. Compared to older people our generation doesn't use the original encyclopedia and dictionary. Although the internet has developed an even lazier generation, I find it as a useful tool but only when the time is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment