Thursday, April 25, 2013

TPCASTT: If You Forget Me

“If You Forget Me
― Pablo Neruda


TPCASTT:  Poem Analysis Method:
title, paraphrase, connotation, diction,
attitude, tone, shift(s)
, title revisited and
theme
Title of poem means
"If You Forget Me" says that if you leave, positive/negative things will come from it.
Paraphrase parts of the Poem

"if I touch
near the fire
the impalpable ash
or the wrinkled body of the log,
everything carries me to you,"

-Everything will remind me of our love, as if our love was meant to be. 

"If suddenly

you forget me
do not look for me,
for I shall already have forgotten you."

-If you think of me don't decide to come back, because I won't allow it.
Connotation of some of the words – changing literal meaning to implied or associated values
Attitude What is the attitude of the author, characters or yourself?
Shift At first we think or feel one way – then there is a shift:  identify the shifts and explain them

"But
if each day,
each hour,
you feel that you are destined for me"

-The poem shifts from a lost love to a loyal heart. 
Title revisited Any new insights on meaning or significance of title?
The title lets the reader know that a list emotions is about to emerge. You know someone is depending on another's actions, and is about to explain how they feel if left behind.
Theme
The theme is love and loyalty. If not loved back, the narrator will give up everything. If he is loved back, he will do anything for them because "my love feeds on your love"

No comments:

Post a Comment